Friday, January 22, 2010

Overprotective or A Parent that gives a rat's ass

My husband mentioned to me that I am overprotective of our children. Ummmmm, I am protective because they took a long time to make and by jove...they are my lil rays of sunshine in a somewhat depressing world.

I've gone to playgrounds where woman gather around in a covered pavilion with the thermos of coffee while their children run amok on a playground that is SOOOOOOOOOO not designed for a 3 or 4 year old child. Well, I tried at one time to be one of those women and then had to make a mad dash to the playground to save my child because a bunch of older kids were pushing aside younger kids to get down the slide (now I know that the older kids are merely wanting to play but the moment I see a bitch ass attitude on the child...I go into SMACK DOWN mode. Where is this child's parent...probably reading a book on the opposite side of the park or swimming with the alligators...NO don't watch your child. Are you just praying that stranger danger nabs them or that they decide that they are done with the play area and want to swim with the gators or play jump rump with a poisonous snake or ride on a wild boar...you get the drift.

Anyway, I want my child to be able to explore the world and have fun doing so but I am not going to be the mom that sits back and lets my child get seriously injured. It took only once for me to see a young child fall from one of those openings in on playground equipment and have the air knocked out of them to make me say "FUCK YOU! to the peeps that think I am overprotective and restricting my child's playing experience. I am letting him explore without killing himself. I am also letting him know the importance of being courteous to others."

Also, I am going to comment on if my child is running on hardwood floor with socks to "Be careful so that you don't slip and bang your head on the floor." Take if from me, I have a scar on my lip to prove that you need to be careful in the house.

If Josh decides that he wants to go into X-treme Sports when he is older...so be it. As long as he knows the possible injuries that can happen.

So in summary:
If making my child wear a helmet when he rides a bike (um, still working on that one and ummmm, when I was a child I rode my bike all over and never had a helmet...maybe too many bangs to the head made me the cautious mama today) OR
Informing my child to be careful on the playground OR
Taking a stick away from my child is considered overprotective then fine. I think it is just being a parent who gives a rat's ass about their child. I've seen the kids play with large ass sticks as if they are light sabers. Ummm, are you waiting for your child to be hit...heck, I've seen it. I've also seen a child with a fake eye because of a head injury.

My words for those "devil may care" parents are...put your damn coffee cup down and actually discipline your children when they push or bite a child and do not act surprised if someone else does it for you. Don't be pissy when someone tells you that YOUR child hit their child. Own up and confront your child. Remove them from the situation. Good lordy is it really that difficult.

If your child is about to jump off the roof because he thinks he can fly by using an umbrella...turn off your computer or stop watching your reality tv and stop him. DUH. Dumb ass muthatruckers.

Accidents happen. Just ask Josh (holy crap the bumps on his noggin; scrapes and bruises are numerous)

No comments:

Post a Comment